Stuffed Nopal-Cactus Leaves
- 6 medium-sized, clean nopales
- 1-1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 5 eggs, separate whites from yolks
- 1/2 pound of finely shredded pork skins (approx. 1/4 cup)
- Mexican red sauce to taste
- 1/2 pound of shredded chicken breast or ground beef.
- Clean and a cut each nopal leaf by the long side of carefully forming a pocket that does not reach the other side.
- Fill each pocket with 1/4 cup cheese and chicken or beef; hold the nopales with toothpicks. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat until it reaches 375 ° F. Beat the egg whites in Bowl medium using the mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. It incorporates carefully yolks and the shredded pork skins.
- Soak the cactus in the egg mixture. Fry them in the hot oil; cook them for 4 min. or until golden, turning after 2 min Drain on paper towels; get rid of toothpicks.
- In another pan, cook Mexican salsa, add nopales, cook them for 3 more min or until fully cooked.
Note: Ask your therapist if you are not sure if an ingredient is permitted or not in your customized food guide.