Vietnamese beef soup
- 4 lbs. beef soup bones.
- 1 white onion, unpeeled and cut in half.
- 5 slices fresh ginger.
- 1 Tbsp. salt.
- 1 Tbsp. of chicken bouillon.
- 2 pods star anise.
- 1 gal. water.
- 1 ½ lbs. beef top sirloin, thinly sliced.
- ½ cup chopped cilantro.
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green onion.
- 3 cups soy-bean sprouts.
- 1 bunch basil.
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges.
- Sriracha® sauce to taste (optional).
- Roast bones on a pan, until brown.
- In a separate pan, roast onion halves on medium heat until blackened and soft.
- Place bones, onion, ginger, salt, chicken bouillon and star anise in a large soup pot and cover with 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 5 hours.
- Strain the broth into a saucepan, add sirloin and simmer for another 20 minutes
- Divide been sprouts among 4 serving bowls; top with cilantro, and green onion. Pour hot broth over the top. Serve with basil, lime wedges and chile-garlic sauce on the side.