Stuffed Nopal-Cactus Leaves
- 6 medium-sized, clean nopales
- 1-1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 5 eggs, separate whites from yolks
- 1/2 pound of finely shredded pork skins (approx. 1/4 cup)
- Mexican red sauce to taste
- 1/2 pound of shredded chicken breast or ground beef.
Clean and a cut each nopal leaf by the long side of carefully forming a pocket that does not reach the other side.
Fill each pocket with 1/4 cup cheese and chicken or beef; hold the nopales with toothpicks. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat until it reaches 375 ° F. Beat the egg whites in Bowl medium using the mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. It incorporates carefully yolks and the shredded pork skins.
Soak the cactus in the egg mixture. Fry them in the hot oil; cook them for 4 min. or until golden, turning after 2 min Drain on paper towels; get rid of toothpicks.
In another pan, cook Mexican salsa, add nopales, cook them for 3 more min or until fully cooked.
Note: Ask your therapist if you are not sure if an ingredient is permitted or not in your customized food guide.