Whether in the environment or on our plates, nobody escapes the substances that can intoxicate our body. Our organism is exposed to many pollutants: alcohol, nicotine, saturated fats, artificial food coloring, preservatives, microparticles (hydrocarbons, pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals) … An overload of these wastes called “toxins” put our cells at risk as they accelerate their ageing, and weaken our natural defenses.
This internal pollution may cause certain symptoms such as chronic fatigue, headaches, insomnia, digestive and dermatologic problems (pimples, rashes, dull skin, allergies, etc.). Hence the importance of a healthy diet that can “clean” us internally and purify our excretory organs (intestines, liver, kidneys, lungs), which are the filters in charge of eliminating accumulated wastes and toxins.
Here is where a detox comes into place. A detox is a program designed by a nutrition professional, though there are different kinds, they have the same objective: recover our nutritional balance and physical well-being. Its purpose is to clean our body and improve its functioning. Our body is usually capable of eliminating toxins itself however, during long periods of stress, fatigue or excesses, it might need some extra help, and a detox can be an excellent push to make it happen.
Why Should We Detox Our Body
At first, a detox is health practice, but it’s also a good method to lose some weight as it can help us eliminate, along with wastes and toxins, our excessive body fat. So, you may lose not only a few pounds, but a few inches too!
It’s important to mention that the main purpose of detoxing is not to lose weight; as a matter of fact, losing weight is a secondary effect. The real goal of detoxing is to help our organism eliminate every undesirable element – such as “bad” body fat – from our body but, mostly, toxins. Among its many advantages are the following:
- Cleanse the digestive system.
- Reduce anxiety.
- Boost energy.
- Strengthen immune system.
- Increase mental clarity.
- Detoxify your body.
When To Detox
The frequency for detoxing depends on the type of detox. In every case, it’s better to do it when you don’t have to perform any physical activity. Otherwise, we can feel the urge of eating, feel irritable, experience a drop on our blood-sugar levels. You can choose a weekend, when you don’t need to go out, so your body can have time to rest and your detox will bring you better results!
Yet Keep In Mind…
There’s a large number of highly risky practices that you can find on magazines or the Internet that call themselves “detox”. Unfortunately, most of them lack of medical and nutritional support, and will bring you more problems than solutions. Our advice is to look for a professional who can give you a safe and healthy detox plan.
Among other things, always take the following into account:
- Drink about plenty of water but not too much. Though drinking liquids (mainly natural water) is always recommended, drinking too much water is not good for us since our bodies eliminate vitamins, our kidneys won’t work properly, your sodium levels will lower, etc.
- Don’t use diuretics. In general, detox plans that use drugs, are risky. Diuretics will not only make you eliminate water through urine, but also important minerals and vitamins which your body needs, and this can lower your blood pressure.
- Don’t use laxatives. Laxatives accelerate your bowel transit time, but they aren’t purifying dietary supplements. They irritate your bowel, cause you diarrhea, and gastrointestinal malabsorption.
- Don’t fast. Fasting provokes metabolic imbalances, raises blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. A total fast (without water intake) can cause severe health problems such as dehydration or kidney issues.
- Get more physical activity. A detox plan is a wonderful opportunity to align our body. Practicing a discipline such as yoga, pilates, or meditation can be very helpful for your detox.
Now that you know all the benefits of a detox plan, it’s time to try it yourself! Here at Forma Vital, our therapists will give you a detox plan that suits your needs and objectives. Don’t wait any longer, #DoItNow